INFORMS Early Career Teachers’ Network (ECTN) Master Teacher Mentoring Program
Deadline Extended to July 11.
The INFORMS Committee on Teaching and Learning (CTL) is proud to solicit applications for the third class of the INFORMS Early Career Teachers’ Network (ECTN) Master Teacher Mentoring Program. The goal of ECTN is to develop master OR/MS/Analytics teachers. There are two components to the ECTN:
- ECTN Workshop
The ECTN Workshop is a pre-conference workshop prior to the INFORMS Annual Meeting. This year’s ECTN Workshop will be held in-person on Saturday (October 15, 2022) prior to the 2022 INFORMS Annual Meeting. During the ECTN Workshop, participants will meet their fellow ECTN participants to begin forming an ECTN community and learn the basics of constructing high-quality learning experiences for students. Workshop participants will also be introduced to their ECTN mentors to kickstart the mentoring process.
Each ECTN participant will be paired with an INFORMS member mentor that has spent considerable time in a teaching-stream position. The ECTN participant will work with his/her ECTN mentor on one or more teaching projects (creating a new course, publishing an OR/MS/Analytics case study, etc.) while the mentor provides the participant with feedback and suggestions to improve the participant’s teaching. ECTN participants and mentors will meet virtually as a group one or possibly several times a year. By applying to the ECTN program, potential ECTN participants, if selected for the program, are committing to assist in the organization of and attend next year’s (2023) ECTN Workshop.
ECTN is currently accepting applications from potential participants (mentees) and mentors. ECTN participants, as part of the selection process, will be paired with an ECTN INFORMS member mentee from a different institution.
“Teaching-stream position”: For the purposes of the ECTN program, a “teaching-stream position” will be either of the following:
- A teaching-focused position at a research university
- A position at a university that has historically focused on teaching
ECTN Program Goals
- Produce master OR/MS/Analytics teachers
- Increase the chance that ECTN participants in tenure track teaching-stream roles achieve tenure
- Currently in the last two years of Ph.D. program and plans to focus on a teaching stream career or received a Ph.D. within the last three years and has accepted or holds a teaching stream position
- Letter of support (letter from the Head of your Department, Ph.D. advisor, or equivalent)
- Teaching statement
- Letter of interest
- Commitment to attend ECTN Workshop for a minimum of two years (must register for the INFORMS Annual Meeting each year)
- Commitment to help organize ECTN Workshop in Year 3
- 5+ years in an OR/MS/Analytics teaching-stream role
- Demonstrated commitment to OR/MS/Analytics teaching
- Demonstrated commitment to INFORMS
- Commitment to serve as an ECTN mentor for 3 years
- Commitment to attend ECTN Workshop for those three years (must register for the INFORMS Annual Meeting each year)
Selected ECTN mentees and mentors are expected to register and attend the 2022 INFORMS Annual Meeting (the deadline for speakers to register is July 20). Both mentors and mentees will be given a certificate of completion after the workshop.