The Early Career Professionals’ Network (ECPN) is a group designed to help recent graduates, soon to be graduates, or anyone newly entering the field of analytics/O.R. to build their professional networks and learn the practicalities of working in the field from experienced practitioners. The ECPN Workshop was created to reflect the fact that analytics work in the real world is challenging in ways that aren’t always taught in analytics and O.R. degree programs. The Workshop is held annually at the INFORMS Business Analytics Conference with a carefully selected cohort of attendees. Highlights from the program include how to land your first job, a panel of analytics executives giving perspective on their career and the marketplace, and a role-playing exercise working with “clients.”
All participants will be eligible to request a modest stipend to assist with travel and attendance costs. The actual amount will vary based on sponsorships and amount listed as needed on nomination form but in the past, it has been as much as a few hundred dollars.
We encourage everyone to also submit to present a poster at the conference. This is a great way to participate and network at the conference. Poster participants will also receive the presenter rate for attending the conference.
Saturday, April 15
Sunday, April 16
Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center
6700 North Gaylord Blvd
- Participants must be enrolled in or have graduated from a graduate degree program in analytics, operations research, management science, or a related field.
- The event is geared to Master’s, Ph.D. students and recent graduates working in the analytics/OR field.
- Participants must be nominated by their university program/department or a representative from their employer.
- A department or employer may nominate multiple students or employees. When nominating multiple students or employees, the department or employer should indicate a rank-order preference of nominees in the event that total nominations exceed the event’s attendance limit.
- Important to note:
- A maximum of 2 participants from each nominating university and employer will be chosen to participate
- Previous attendees of the IPC, ECC or ECPN are not eligible to attend
Tuesday, February 21, 2023 11:59PM EDT
Notification Date: March 8, 2023
Nomination Package: This should be completed and uploaded by the department chair, program director, or supervisor. Packages are due by 11:59pm ET on Tuesday, February 21, 2023 and must include the following information about the intended participant (nominee) in the format specified:
- Letter of recommendation from the department chair, program director, or supervisor.
- Statement of purpose from the nominee including description of career and research interests.
- Resume or CV.
- Nominee’s name, mailing address, email address and phone number.
- Other required information to include in the submission: nominee’s major field of study, expected degree (M.S., PhD, MBA, etc.), expected date of graduation, thesis/dissertation title (or area of concentration if nominee’s program does not require a thesis), and current employer and position.
- Estimate of financial aid requested.
Note: Award amounts will be determined after sponsorships have been confirmed and will be need-based. If this request is not included in the nomination package, no consideration will be given for financial aid. Amount of aid provided will not exceed amount listed in nomination form as left to be paid by participant.
Sample Agenda from a previous ECPN event:
Note: This is just an example of what we have done in the past and is not the actual 2023 ECPN event agenda.
|7–7:30am||Meeting Check-in & Coffee|
|7:30–8:15am||Session 1: Introductions of Participants and Program Committee Members|
|8:15–9am||Session 2: Data Revolution|
|9–9:45am||Session 3: Perspectives on the Practice of O.R. & Analytics|
|10–11:30am||Session 4: Role Playing: Develop an AI/ML/DS based product and GTM Strategy or an Enhancement to a Current Product for B2B or B2C|
|12:30–1:30pm||Session 5: Executives Panel|
|1:45–2:30pm||Session 6: Networking as an Early Career Professional|
|2:45–3pm||Refresh and go to Career Fair|